Friday morning, I woke up before my alarm, needing to use the washroom - around 6:10. I sat up and something that didn't seem quite right. But I didn't think about it. I wasn't in any state to think about anything. I stood up. step up with the right foot. "step" with the left foot. Except that my left leg was entirely asleep and bore no weight at all. So next thing I know, I'm on the floor swearing. Lucky I didn't hit my head in my tiny, furniture-stuffed bedroom.
Well, my left knee had gone through a range of motion unknown to it for almost a decade. I landed hard on my left heel, which felt a little bruised. I was more worried about my knee but it didn't hurt. So I proceded with my day but investigated a little when I got to school. My knee seemed perfectly fine, not even any swelling which I can get from regular exercise. But the "bruise" on my ankle happened to be right over my ligament. By the end of the day, it was somewhat swollen, stiff, and lightly discoloured. Definitely a sprain.
It's pretty much okay now. I curled Monday and yesterday without any trouble.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I've often wondered about this; when a limb "falls asleep", what exactly happens?
I've always assumed that a lack of blood circulation just caused a loss of sensation. But if it's purely a loss of tactile feedback, it seems like you should still be able to use the limb decently well with a little mind-over-matter. I don't know if that's actually true; we may just rely on tactile feedback much more than I think.
I'm guessing motor-control must also be impaired.
Forgive me if I'm being stupid; biology is the one science I never pursued beyond grade 10.
If I knew any of this, my injury might have been prevented. Let's just say though that I am much more careful getting out of bed these days.
Whenever my limbs fall asleep I am usually in pain. Anticipation of pain is more like it. I would never attempt to use the limb until I had massaged it (painfully) back to life.
gina
Post a Comment