Tuesday, August 01, 2006

The prime directive.

Dion insists that Yolande and I violated the prime directive in Dunhuang.

Our guide, Vicky, was a sweet but mousy young woman. Late on our last night while we were waiting for the driver I decided to make some fun. I asked Vicky if on a night like that, when she gets home late, whether her husband has dinner waiting for her. Well, by the look on her face, you'd think I was from another planet. Of course not. He gets fed at his mother's house.

I explained that in general, Dion and I split the cooking. If I cook, he cleans up. If he cooks, I clean up. cook together, clean together. Vicky was astonished. Not only was I recounting this freely in front of my mother-in-law but even more shockingly, my mother-in-law seemed pretty happy about it. She's proud that Dion pulls his own weight. She pointed out that it's fair that way when both people work and that Vicky could tell her husband that. Vicky's response? "I will. Thank you?"

I also told her that she should teach her son (now 3 years old) to cook. He'll get any girlfriend he wants. Vicky's response? "I will try." I don't think she meant it.

10 comments:

Gandalf said...

I agree with Dion; because in an alien world, we must not influence their behaviour and/or culture. What is appropriate here may not not be appropriate there and vice versa. As travellers, we retain our customs and culture when we travel, but it can be dangerous sometimes to not respect the customs and culture of the local citizens.

Karen Lew said...

Gandalf,

I can hardly ever decipher your comments. Are you being serious and/or merely trying to define the prime directive for those who are unaware of this fictitious concept?

May I remind you that Vicky is a tour guide by profession? She may expect to engage in cultural exchange with foreigners on a systematic and daily basis.

Anonymous said...

Furthermore, Gandalf, we were not being unrespectful of the local "customs". We were just sharing ideas & practices of the western world!

yolande

PapaMino said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
PapaMino said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
PapaMino said...

Mmmmm. Prime rib directive....

I don't think it's wrong at all to share one's cultural traits when traveling or living abroad; within limits, of course. By that, I mean don't arrange public scotch-nosings in Sana'a. :)

I'm always being asked here in Japan how I (we) do things in Canada vs. here. I'm (usually)good about explaining myself without trying to compare and give off the impression that the Canadian way is better/more advanced etc. :)
That way, I can leave it up to the listener to decide whether "my" way is great/interesting or crazy.

Btw, Karen, it will be the whole family coming next month.

Karen Lew said...

Mark: "I'm (usually)good about explaining myself without trying to compare and give off the impression that the Canadian way is better/more advanced etc. " ... but you usually think it is? :P

Anonymous said...

Hmm, If I were meeting people from other cultures, I would be curious as to their customs. I don't think it's a bad idea to show others how you live your life and what your thoughts and beliefs are. I just wouldn't like having someone else's beliefs forced upon me. I'll believe what I want to believe and do what I want to do.

QYV

Karen Lew said...

QYV: Luckily you get to say that and act accordingly. Iraqis (and many people everywhere, for that matter) aren't so lucky.

Kern said...

As there have already been several serious comments on the issue already, I'm going to address only the (fictional) Prime Directive itself.

I believe the Prime Directive only forbids interfering in alien civilizations that have not yet achieved interstellar travel. Once they achieve that level, the gloves are off. I guess the reasoning is that once they're advanced enough to come and find YOU, there's no point having a rule that you can't talk to THEM.

So, given that China has, as I understand, already developed technology sufficient to sail or fly to Canada and watch Dion cook, I think she's entirely justified in telling them that he does so.