Yesterday, I had only 6 of 9 players at the Jr Boys Volleyball practice. And one of them showed up 40 minutes or so late. That was not what outraged me.
Today, the player who was late informed me that he could not play today. That was not what outraged me.
I asked the referee and was informed that I was not allowed to field only 5 players. I was forced to play players who had skipped/missed practice or default. I felt the latter option was unfair to the opposition who had travelled for a game and to the five players who had practiced.
The game started, I looked down the bench and saw my remaining two players. One was on the phone! The other was doing homework!
Not clear on the concept of team. Not even pretending to be interested in what their teammates were doing, cheering for them, supporting them, or even being prepared to substitute into the game.
I'm still seething.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
So how was your first practice after that game? Did everyone show up? Did everyone make it out alive?
I just wanted express, in the strongest possible terms, my displeasure at this Blog's blatant disregard for the long and noble traditions of NaBloPoMo.
Disgraceful.
You call yourselves Canadians?!?
(Um... do I need to put [sarcasm] tags around that, or is it sufficiently implied? :) )
You should have sent one of the players on the bench onto the court and told them they have to stand off to one side and not touch anything or get in the way of anyone. Then I'm sure they'll see how dumb they look by having to stand in the corner of the court. You just have to tell him 'as soon as the ball is served, you have to run to the corner of the gym and stay out of the way of others', he'll either quit the team or start showing up at practice. win-win!
I'm not sure why I haven't been seeing comments weren't popping up for me (probably caching). Sorry for the slow replies.
Kevin,
No, not everyone showed up for practice. It was a pretty mild talking-to. I pretty much told them I felt sorry for them for their disappointing experience. And, o yeah, that tryouts for next year's senior team started two months ago, and that they'd better find a way between now and next year to demonstrate that they can behave like committed team players.
Kern,
I haven't been enjoying blogging for quite a while. NaBloPoMo or none, I can't really be bothered any more.
Norm,
I thought of it but I have too much respect for the sport to treat it so shabbily.
Sorry to hear you're not digging the 'Blog thing anymore.
Of course, the good thing about Blogging is, it's there when you want to do it, and when you don't, you can just let it lie until the bug bites again.
Unless, of course, it's NaBloPoMo. :)
(I still like Blogging, but I don't always enjoy NaBloPoMo so much)
karen, you can get email notification of comments - so far I have not noticed any cacheing with that.
as for the team practice, i can see a positive side - that those boys are getting a lesson on teamwork while they are still young. You tell em, coach!
Post a Comment