Wednesday, September 16, 2009

anti-clutter campaign


Here is one of the baby steps I've taken in decluttering our condo. These steps I'm taking are so tiny that really, I feel like I'm rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic but Rome wasn't built in a day, take care of the pennies .... Any more aphorisms you'd like to suggest, readers?


Before. Notice that the boxes, clutter themselves, had become a surface on which to collect more clutter. I'd been leaving them out because I had delusions of using them "soon" in grander decluttering blitzes but I've decided that it was worth my time to collapse them and store them in an equally accessible but less visible pocket of the condo.


After. Not a grand improvement but at least the stroller belongs in the front entrance and the laundry basket has been minimized.

A blogger I follow, Swistle, is also going through a decluttering campaign. I'm inspired by her new mantras:
You can't clean clutter.
and (when deciding whether to keep or discard an article):
Does it bless? Or does it oppress?

An organising guru I once saw on CityLine once said, "Every item in your home has your permission to be there," or words to that effect. A simplification for multi-person households (he's single) but still something to consider. He also questions why people are so careless with things that they proportedly value. If it has value, it should be used, stored, or displayed accordingly.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Unknown said...

We've been forced to de-clutter simply by moving.

One technique that we used a bit this year was for us to go through each other's things and question the value of older artifacts. Publically declaring that you value something is a good clutter test.

The cool thing about China is that we actually didn't have to throw much out. Our movers and housekeeper were more than happy to take our clutter away for free.