I've often describe my geekiness (and that of several of our friends) with an explanation of the the reference game. As I spent most of the day alone, I had to find a solo way of indulging my geekiness. I rediscovered The geography olympics, now at http://www.geographyzone.com/new/index.php?t=1&b=1 . Although that redirects you to the new geography challenge with a much improved interface.
It's amazing how the brain works. At first I was getting only 7 out of 10 right and after a few tries was back up to pretty consistent 10/10 with the occasional 9/10 due to the South-West Pacific. Kiribati anyone? But soon I was recalling countries that hadn't even come up yet today. Soon, I was working for good times, not just perfect scores. You get a total of 120 seconds. One by one, you are asked to click on ten countries, randomly selected from 192. If you make a mistake, the correct answer is displayed - a nice new feature. I used to play with an atlas handy. I've been playing for a little over an hour and my top times for perfect scores are
100 seconds left - once
99 seconds left - once
94 seconds left - four times
Like minesweeper, there is obviously some luck involved. Small countries are bad because it takes time to hover over them. The location of a country can be bad too. It takes time to scroll across the world map. Here's a hint. Keep your mouse hovering over the Eastern part of the Mediterranean between countries for quick map shifting to within range of a very large number of countries. Another. Don't click on a country until you KNOW its whole name - it is displayed letter by letter. I've clicked on Austr(ia) only to find out that I was to click on Austr(alia).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Dion played a bit and was quickly getting the same scores I am.
Played for a little while again today. Only two mistakes: Clicked Costa Rica instead of El Salvador (brain fart) and Vanuatu. I'm pretty consistently in the high 90's (left) or low 20's, depending on how you want to look at it.
Now my best scores are
100 left two times
99 left one time
97 left three times
96 left two times
95 left one time
On Saturday, I described the reference game to a friend in reference to geekiness.
Post a Comment