Friday, September 16, 2005

School's in.

Let's see.

So far, so good. It took about a week but I think I understand my job in the resource room now. I think the bulk will be in working with the students working on missed math credits. My 12U Physics course is shaping up well too. They are a very attentive group but a little bit quiet still. I was impressed with their first assignments - a paragraph about the nature or role of science. They put a fair bit of thought into them.

I had good fun in the playoffs last weekend. My knee had been bothering me last week but it felt pretty good during the weekend. Now, this week it is just awful. I've worn a tensor all day for the first time in years. I think volleyball coaching has been aggravating it.

I just finished tryouts for the junior boys' volleyball team today. There are a few good athletes and a couple of players with good training. But I've never been involved in junior boys' volleyball; so, I don't know how we compare to the field. We'll find out soon. Our first game is a week from Tuesday. Yikes. I don't even know who my setters are going to be.

I just got my new laptop yesterday, almost exactly ONE MONTH after I ordered it. One snafu after another. It's sweet though. I do miss a few things about my old one, believe it or not, Mark. I liked the curve of the keyboard under the wrists. I really miss the track point. Removing your hand from home row to use a mouse/touch pad is just so primitive.

TV. Terrible that Rex stayed and Aaron went home last week on Canadian Idol. Thank goodness Melissa won. I was a little scared this week because Rex's first two performances on Tuesday were actually enjoyable. Not that he suddenly developed a good voice over the week but he had suitably easy songs and managed to hold the pitch much of the time. The single written for the Idol is actually good. A rare thing in the Idol franchise. Last year's single was awful, awful, awful.

BOOKS. I'm reading Simon Singh's Big Bang. A little less "entertaining" than Fermat's Enigma or The Code Book but I am really enjoying it.

2 comments:

PapaMino said...

Hey Karen,

Good to hear that you're doing well and that the school year has started with a bang. I don't get any of the "buzz" from education circles in Canada anymore, so I was wondering if the latest debate in the US on adding "intellegent design" to biology classrooms has stirred up any discussions at your school?

Mark

Karen Lew said...

No. There is no discussion of Intelligent Design at my school, that I know of. BTW, it's not just debate about adding it. A lot of schools give intelligent design equal time as or more time than evolution.