Saturday, May 20, 2006

3 angry coaches

The jury is still out for Sr Boy athlete of the year at my school. Beth, Peter, and I are the committee. I'm holding out and lobbying hard for one of these two. Let me condense our HOURS of discussion to a few lines:

Eric Tsui (I was going to use a fake name but I'm being so specific that there's no not knowing who it is if you're from AY)
- vball: #4 or 5 on a team just short of OFSAA. consistent and effective but no flash.
- tennis: can't recall, never saw him play, but this is "his sport"
- badminton: 2nd in North York in boys' doubles (an extremely competitive league). lost only to one team ever - twice in a massive double knock-out
- ultimate: most skilled thrower, leads an effective and aggressive offense, solid defensively

Matthew Lezon
- vball: #1 on a team just short of OFSAA. student of the game, cornerstone of offense, positive leader technically and socially
- bball: #3 on a team that finished 2/7 in North York East league play, did not advance very far in playoffs. able to finish, held his own against some extremely competitive competition
- ultimate: natural leader, capable thrower, leads a solid offense, great read of game, anticipation on defense

This is just too close. At first, I thought I would be happy either way but I'm just not comfortable with our decision yet. I think that both of these kids are terrific but they are very different types of athletes.

Who should be athlete of the year? Why?

Don't forget to read my next entry too - I had two entries this week.

4 comments:

Gandalf said...

Based on your evaluation, Eric should be the athlete of the year. (without doubt.) Here are the reasons:
1. Both are on the starting lineup for vball (wash)
2. both are on the starting lineup for ultimate (wash)
3. Matthew is a good player on a poor team in bball, while Eric is on the Tennis team? how well did he do?
4. Eric is on the Badminton team and only lost to one team. This makes him a runner up in badminton. This becomes the deciding factor.

However, after saying all of this, MVP can be given to an individual based up incredible performance in any one sport. I was not able to determine if any of the two carried the team on his back. This could change the decision.

Karen Lew said...

In Matthew's defense (not that I'm saying either way which I preferred. It's just not as straightforward as I made it out to be):

-Volleyball is definitely not a wash. Matthew was much more important.
-Matthew was a very good player on a good basketball team.
-Eric didn't carry any team on his back but Matthew nearly did carry the volleyball team on his - as much as this is possible in volleyball.

Plus, the intangibles are hard to put on paper, aren't they?

Over the weekend, I was unable to sway Beth or Peter but I was able to talk myself into being comfortable with either decision. I'm not going to say what it was, just in case a student finds my blog. It's "supposed" to be a surprise.

Anonymous said...

I must say that it is too bad that there is only one award. Is there not another award that can be handed out to recognize the second individual?

gina

Karen Lew said...

We considered having them share the award but decided not to. When that has been done in the past there has been a more compelling apples-vs-orange reason, e.g., a swimmer (no other sports) who did well at OFSAA as compared to a player who started on three good teams.