
After getting to 10% in almost 3000 games, I reset the stats. I'm playing a lot less but doing a lot better. In 500 games, I'm one game over 250. Does anyone say that? Or can one only say one game over/under 500.
Wrapping up first semester was really hectic but second semester is off to a good start. My classes are strong academically and I have some personalities, too. I have started out really on the ball. I'm trying to have everything in order for the sake of my replacement if I need to start my leave suddenly. This is probably the first weekend since September that I didn't have anything to mark. I'm also trying to be on the ball for the sake of Kaitlin, who is teaching 12U Physics for the first time. We're doing the units in an unusual order (starting with the hardest three of six) for a few reasons.
- I will be starting my leave right around midterm, so I'll be at school to help Kaitlin through the weirder stuff.
- This will leave the easiest half of the course for my replacement.
- The grade 12's usually go on virtual vacation as soon as midterm marks are in, as these are the basis for most university acceptances. (They'd really have to tank to have any offers rescinded.) This way, I have their attention and motivation for the tough stuff and more of them will learn something.
- These are the units I enjoy most anyway. Why leave them for someone else?
- I'm sending a message to all those students with 80 and 90 percents at midterm in first semester who drop the course and retake it second semester, thinking that they may as well get tested on stuff that they've been taught twice and never get tested on the tough stuff (at least before marks go in to the universities).
The only downside is that the actual instructional planning can be a little complicated. Until the students have covered circular motion and momentum, a number of applications need to be postponed, e.g., the Compton effect, cyclotrons, and calculations for Rutherford electron orbits.

2 comments:
I have never heard anyone say anything like "one game over .250", but I don't see why you can't. It's a perfectly cromulent usage of the phrase.
I try again. Normally in sports one speak of a game of 500 to mean to win 11 games out of 21. If you look at the standings, a team with a record of 5 wins and 5 losses, they would be playing 500 ball. Therefore to be 1 game over 500 would be 11 games out of 21.
Gandalf
Post a Comment