Tuesday, March 27, 2007

good to know

One of my memory sticks made it through the washing machine alive. It didn't even have a lid on it. Phew. I'm glad it was in the pocket of pants that don't go in the dryer.

5 comments:

Gandalf said...

Is that one of those usb things

Karen Lew said...

Yep. I highly recommend them. I think they're pretty affordable and portable in most senses of the word.

Unknown said...

Ah, I thought you washed a RAM stick rather than a USB one. That probably would not have survived.

In any case, at least your data is clean now?

Kevin said...

I wasn't picturing RAM, but rather a flash card for your camera, which I didn't think would take to the laundering very well.

Karen Lew said...

I used to call it a memory key but several people, who are computer-literate but not computer-savvy, didn't understand. But they did understand a memory stick to be the thing I was talking about.

Wikipedia anticipates this confusion. Under the entry "memory stick," it states: "The term is not to be confused with the popular usage of "stick" to describe a SIMM or DIMM of dynamic RAM or a USB flash drive." I fell prey to popular usage.

Based on my Wikipedia search, it is my interpretation that the most correct term for the item I laundered is "USB flash drive", next best is "USB memory key", then "memory key". Strictly speaking "memory stick" is a Sony flash card.