Monday, August 18, 2008

randomness

Let's see.

How to mince onions in a food processor. As tempting as it seems, do not use the grating tool. This produces onion puree. Rather, run it through the chopping tool twice. Incidentally, any ideas on what to do with 3 onions worth of onion puree?

Adam's bedtime habits. He's taken to kicking us out of his room with "'Night 'Night Bye Bye" and then proceeding to chat to himself or his seal or walls or something for a very long time. almost two hours once or twice. Tonight it was a only around twenty minutes but it was extra cute. At bedtime he commented on my wedding ring, "Ring!" And so, I started singing, "Ring Around the Rosy." "Again!" "Again!" "Again!" And so later we heard over the monitor: "ashes, ashes, dOWn" over and over again.

Back-to-School Dreams. The usual. not prepared for class in my dreams.

Adam's vocabulary. just for the record, i.e., boring. Words with an asterisk may not be intelligible to strangers but they are clear and consistent. Does not include words where he is merely repeating sounds from a poem or song. He also has two Cantonese words: tek (kick) and ma (wipe). I'm sure I'm forgetting some but whatever. I thought I'd attempt a list before it becomes uncountable. I think I'm happy that mine, me, and Adam don't yet appear on the list.

food/kitchen: bread*, noodle, rice, cereal*, beef, chicken*, fish, egg, bean, broccoli*, onion*, avocado, grapes*, banana, peel, orange*, melon, blueberry, strawberry*, plum, peach, apple*, cheese, milk, yogurt (25), fork, knife, spoon*, bowl, lid, cup*, bottle*, bib, tray*, pot, whisk*, hot, warm (13)

animals: dog, cat, bird, squirrel*, duck, turtle, pig, chicken (only counts once), horse, goat, cow, sheep, whale, lion*, bear*, crocodile*, fox*, monkey*, bunny rabbit* (18), moo, baa, oink*, ruff ruff, bow wow, meow, neigh, roar, tttt* (9)

people: baby, Daddy, Mum, Norm, Matthew*, Dave, George* (7) It was clear but we haven't seen him in a while; so, I'm not counting Rob.

body: hair, head, eyes, ears, nose, cheeks, lips, mouth*, teeth, tongue, arm, (finger) tips, (belly) button*, penis*, bum, leg, knee, toes (18) hat, coat*, shirt*, pants*, diaper*, socks*, shoes* (7)

bath: bath, soap*, pee, pooh, flush, (tooth) brush, (tooth) paste*, comb, towel, wash (10)

"toys": toy, baby (doll), book, disk, blocks, ball, balloon, magnet*, keys, phone*, seal*, choo choo (train), car, truck, beep-beep (15)

other nouns: garbage (can)*, chair*, wall*, door, pillow*, blanket*, zipper*, snap*, button*, piano*, guitar*, ring, light, swing*, moon, money*, wallet*, time (means clock), pen (19)

numerals: 9, 10 (2)

exclamations: yes, no, no-no, hi, bye bye, hello*, again*, more, uh-oh, oops, 'night-'night, please, gesundheit*, help* (14)

particles: up, down, back, this, that (5)

actions: pull, push*, press*, hug*, crash*, close*, open*, sneeze, rock, sit (11)

other adjectives: nice*, silly, mad*, loud, (at/gone) home, wet, mess (7)

Total: 150 English, 2 Cantonese. This is about double what I was expecting to count.

2 comments:

kristin said...

Go Adam!

maybe freeze the onion puree in smaller portions and use it as base for soups or gravy.

Anonymous said...

'Avocado' and 'disk' made me laugh. 'Gesundheit' would have made me laugh, but Kristin already told me.