Saturday, June 17, 2006

Open Gym

I stay after school on Fridays so that some of the kids can play in the gym until the caretakers kick us out around 6. It all started during the senior girl's volleyball season when I had had it with absenteeism and made a Friday afternoon practice optional and asked a couple of the senior boys to come to give some one-on-one instruction. And it just grew from there but still it's mostly varsity volleyball players and their close friends.

The students are always very appreciative and since yesterday was the last open gym of the year, they got me a little something. I wish I had a photo of the giant thank you note, but it's still at school so that I can laminate it. But here is what the got me. It's too much! I was definitely touched.


They said that they were disappointed that they couldn't get me a pair of the team shoes (the boys all have the same ones) but they didn't have them in my size. Anyway, these fit perfectly and I jumped pretty high in them.

2 comments:

Gandalf said...

I think you are having way too much fun as a teacher!

Karen Lew said...

I love my job. Don't tell anyone but I'd considering doing it for free.

Although, I don't think that nobody knows. IMHO, nurturing and traditionally female jobs are always underpaid for exactly this reason.