Monday, June 12, 2006

They looked good before...

but now they're toast. We're doing destructive testing. The bridge must take a load of 300X its own weight for full marks. The largest was just under 500g, the smallest around 120g. With Kevin's help, I created an award for each bridge.

I did a Power Point Presentation with these photos and their group shots. I had to do a preamble for almost every award because they're very language- and culture-rich. But I think that I pulled off some humour. The kids got a really big kick out of the presentation.
In no particular order:

The brute force award.
150 kg wouldn't break this 480 g bridge.

The most elegant bridge.
held 551 X its own weight. really good use of material and colour.

The most patriotic bridge.
Apparently, there is a story behind the flag.

Close but no cigar award.
Held 270 times its own weight.

The never judge a bridge by its cover award.
This 120g bridge held 90 kg. I also considered the biggest over-achiever, the little bridge that could, and the ugly duckling.

It looked even better in real life but it wasn't especially strong. It held only 153X its own weight.
Best eye-candy award.

All that glitters is glued.

The Mark McGwire award.
The box they bought did say "popsicle sticks" although the rules explicitly said no tongue depressors.

Most original bridge.
Cable stay? out of popsicle sticks?

The less is more award

the more is more award.

The little bridge that could.
held almost 400 times its own weight.

The quality is job 1 award.
This was meticulously designed and constructed. Using steam and ammonia to create the arch.

best supporting actruss

The wood wide web award?
I love this photo, more for the seamless than anything.

3 comments:

Kern said...

The eye-candy bridge is definitely my fave, followed by the bridges-of-many-colours.

Karen Lew said...

Hm. I find the bridges of many colours a little busy. At least the best supporting actruss organised the colour. And I think that the colour trim on the most elegant bridge is very effective.

Anonymous said...

i had to look up mark mcgwire.