No kidding! Junior Kindergarten. And by all reports, it's going well. It just so happens that his outfit seems so carefully planned, what with the navy and grey checked shoes tying together the sweater and cords. In fact, he chose it the way he almost always does - by grabbing the item at the top of the pile in the dresser. And that sweater, with the too-short sleeves, needed rolling of the sleeves when I bought it for his birthday. We measured him this week and he's grown two inches since MAY.
Adam and change ... not so much, doesn't usually go over so well. He's been nervous about school for months, much more concerned about school than John's arrival, so we've been trying not to make too big a deal of it. But luckily, this has been a rather small adjustment and he's managed just fine. And, as always, the anticipation was the worst part. Reports coming back from Adam and the teacher (via the daycare staff) have all been positive. Mind you, Adam's reports are brief, which isn't surprising; routinely, I can barely pull out of him what they ate for lunch at daycare. One day he reported that he played in the bin centre and in the dramatic play centre. I also got the names of a few students. C'est tout. I suppose he won't even tell me the names of his teachers once he's in high school.
It's not a big adjustment because our school has only half-day kindergarten and because, before and after school, he's still at the same daycare he's been since he started last year. Moreover, there are several (5?) children from his daycare in his kindergarten class. The daycare staff walk all the kids from the daycare to the school after lunch and walk them back to the daycare after school.
His first day was Wednesday but, since they stagger the start dates, he got to join those whose first day was Tuesday on the to-and-from-school walk, which is a nice transition exercise. Becky was kind enough to come by on Wednesday to watch Naomi and John so that I could join Adam on his first tour of his classroom. I joined the class on the walk over and Adam was so reluctant to go that I was half-dragging him for about the first 5 minutes of the walk. He eventually resigned himself to the inevitable and played along. I had a fleeting moment of butterflies in my stomach; so, I can only imagine how nervous he was. And yet, Adam didn't even seem very tense when we, Elias, and Elias's mom got our tour, while the others played outside. He did ask me to take him home when I was leaving but he quickly accepted that I was not going to. So, he asked that I be waiting at daycare for him when they got back, to which I did agree. Everybody, including Adam, was very no-nonsense about everything, which was perfect. All-in-all a good start to the year! Plus, when Dion got home from work, he had a present for Adam, which was well-received.
technical details: Adam is in a mixed JK/SK afternoon class of 17ish students at our TDSB home school. We're keeping an open mind about French Immersion, which doesn't start until SK and applications aren't until January, because FI is at a different and farther school, I only ever hear good things about our school, and, y'know, Adam and change ... not so much.

No comments:
Post a Comment