Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Cantonese vs Mandarin

I've been using this debate to put off learning to speak Chinese. But I think I've finally decided. At risk of offending my new family (sorry, guys!), I've decided on Mandarin. Let me be a little defensive. On the side of Mandarin we have:
- only four tones vs SEVEN
- daily practice at school
- eavesdropping on my students
- increasing Mandarin proportion of Toronto's Chinese community
- more usefulness for travel

I'm going to take an interest course or two this summer.

10 comments:

Gandalf said...

Actually, you will be able to converse with several members of the family in Mandarin

Anonymous said...

I think it's a good argument. I'd like to learn one day too. Is dion going to take the course with you?

Kern said...

Interesting; if I were studying Chinese, I'd probably choose Cantonese because the Chinese population in Toronto is (I think) slanted that way.

But I went down that road once, very briefly, years ago.

All I can say is... good luck. :)

Anonymous said...

An interest course huh? *rubs chin* I might be interested..

QYV - Situ

Karen Lew said...

gandalf: Several, yes.

anonymous: Dion wouldn't take a course in anything, let alone a language course.

Kern: I think it's getting close to 50-50 and the Mandarin proportion is definitely growing. Thanks for the luck wish.

QYV: I'll fill you in on the details when I've firmed up my plans. But check out the con ed websites for Ryerson and George Brown.

Anonymous said...

It sounds like fun. Just yesterday I was telling someone that my languages get me pretty far in Europe but that globally Mandarin would be more useful.

Karen Lew said...

When did Kristin start using upper-case letters again? :)

Anonymous said...

i think kristin has passed from here e e cummings phase but i think its (sic) contagious

Anonymous said...

it Was bait to See if you Commented.

Anonymous said...

u 707411y Pwn3d m3!!!!oneoneone!!!

take that, 3 3 cumm1n6s!