Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Dion says the darndest things.

I had written some of this in a reply to Otto's last comment but I had been meaning to post them anyway; so, I repeat them here.

During my pregnany, Dion often made statements about the baby completely out of the blue, at times when we were just doing our own thing, not conversing. Here are some examples.
"I'm really starting to get excited now" - around 21 weeks, a day or so after Dion first felt the baby move.
"We're a team. This is our challenge. We're going to do this together." - maybe around 25-28 weeks. He denied having read this in one of his father-to-be books. He's not one to even tweak the truth; so, I believe him.
"The baby can come any time now. I'm just waiting." - two Saturdays before Adam was born.

Last night Dion commented that Adam seemed to be "levelling up". His repertoire of facial expressions has expanded and he definitely seems bigger already. It makes me just a little sad that he can't stay just the way he is forever.

Which reminds me. The other day, Adam was being especially sweet while nursing. So, I asked Dion to take a picture, "he won't look like this forever, y'know". No need to take a picture, Dion replied, "That's why you have more." :O

So, I have developed a hypothesis to explain declining birthrates in wealthy regions. Declining birthrates do not follow entirely from the emancipation of women or the availability of reliable contraception. Birthrate is inversely proportional to the prevalence of photographic and video media. Tongue planted firmly in cheek.

No comments: