Sunday, April 08, 2007

For the first time in my life...

people are amazed at how small I am!

Here's how we look while "we" are going on 38 weeks (out of 40) pregnant.

8 comments:

Kevin said...

That third picture doesn't look like you at all!

Every time I mention to someone who knows you that you are pregnant (and almost due) it usually comes up that you are not very big... but I don't think that is suprising really (not that I have alot of experience). At least it doesn't seem counter-intuitive.... you have such a large frame that there is alot of room for a baby without expanding too much.

Maybe it doesn't work that way, I don't know.

Karen Lew said...

Kevin, I think it pretty much does work that way. I think stuff (my other organs) has squished into my pelvis and ribcage rather than sticking out. I think my abdominal muscle wall is still pretty much entact also. Most women get a split, as I understand. And it's my first pregnancy.

The main thing is that I just have not gained all that much weight. 21 pounds do not go that far on a 6-foot frame. It's not for lack of trying. I feel like I eat constantly and I'm not holding back on the candy and butter.

My OB says that this is far from a large baby, who seems to be taking more after the father than the mother.

Plus, every person who ascribes to the old-wives' tales about these things declares instantly that my shape and size mean the baby is a boy.

Jesse said...

Does that mean you're interested in a vball tournament before your due date ? :)

BTW, you look great!

Karen Lew said...

Hi Jesse,

uh, gotta say no.

I curled in week 36 but I even gave up _curling_ this week. I'm not worried so much about my balance or falling as about my joints. Every time I get up in the night to pee, I feel joints shift.

And Thanks!

Pamela said...

You look GREAT Karen! =)
Glad to hear that you're doing well.. keep up the good work Mom!

Unknown said...

I'm amazed!!!

Kern said...

Week 38?!?
Holy Hannah! Where does the time go? (er... of course, your pregnancy has probably seemed a lot longer for you than it has for me).

I've always figured that just as different people's bodies are predisposed to carry fat in different ways, different womens' bodies make space for babies in diffeent ways. I've heard stories of really tiny women who managed to go all the way through their pregnancy without looking very pregnant.

You look very motherly. :)

I assume that last picture is there just to set our minds at ease that daddy is not in the throes of "hysterical pregnancy".

Karen Lew said...

Kern, That third picture is there for a bunch of reasons. I took it in the first place just to focus the camera properly for my self-portrait. Dion always hides his face but I thought it ended up looking like he was panicking, which is far from true. Dion declared on the weekend that the baby can come any time now, he's just waiting. Dion's photo also provides a scale against which to compare me. Plus, I wanted to poke fun at the phrase, "we are pregnant." I must admit that I used it once when I was put on the spot. Otherwise, I think it's ridiculous. I prefer, "we are expecting."