Tuesday, May 15, 2007

On being a mother

This post is insired by the mother's day entry by Pam on their blog: http://nathantsang.blogspot.com/2007/05/happy-mothers-day.html

I'm not sure yet how being a mother will change me/ being parents will change us. From what I've observed in other people, there's no doubt that it does. I don't feel any different though. It'll probably take some time and I think the time away from school will make a difference.

I'm all about being a teacher. Not that I won't be a teacher again or that I'm not a teacher now. One of my concerns has been about how being a parent will affect my relationship with my students. Is there a little less nurturing for them? Will I still go that extra mile? Will I still run "open gym" Fridays after school when I have my own child/ren to go home to?

See also http://lewfamily.blogspot.com/2006/06/open-gym.html

2 comments:

Pamela said...

Happy (belated) 1st Mother's Day Karen! =)
I know you're a great Mom, and I'm sure it'll only make you an even better teacher than you already are!
Keep up the good work... Adam's lucky to have you! =)

Jesse said...

I wouldn't imagine you "feeling" any different, but I'm sure you're thinking about things different, especially how they will affect Adam.

I'm definitely curious about your last question, I know I've been leaving earlier and more consistently now that little people are waiting for me at home :)

Happy Mother's Day Karen!