Sunday, June 24, 2007

Ch-ch-ch-changes....

I admit it, I stole the title from Kevin. Friday, I accepted an offer for a new teaching position at Jarvis Collegiate. I'll be teaching three sections of Gr. 9 Math starting in September. It's a half time (mornings) timetable.

The previous Friday at 10 am, I logged into the board network and checked the postings - really just out of curiosity. Was AY posting any? Which subject areas seemed to be posted most often? that type of thing. But I spied the o.5-time Math/Physics posting at Jarvis. I mentioned it to Dion, who was very clear: "Do it!" How could I not apply? I called Sai (my department head.) "Uh, Sai. There's a posting at Jarvis."
"Damn you! I'll be your reference."

The deadline was noon that day, so Dion took the morning off to take care of Adam while I focussed on putting together my resume and cover letter. Well, I interviewed Monday morning and it went quite well. In my own mind I messed up one question but the post-interview chat was good. I got a feeling that I would like working with this principal and department head. Having sat in on interviewing for my mat-leave substitute at AY was a learning experience. I realised that if they've ruled you out, there is no post-interview chat. People are just too busy. They'd let me know Friday probably, Monday at the latest.

Wednesday afternoon, I got a big hint that I was the candidate. Someone at the board office called, asking me to put it in writing that I understood the implications of going to 0.5 full-time-equivalent status.
"Isn't this premature? I haven't even been offered the position."
"Uh. We just need to know."
The principals have to forward the name of their preferred candidate to the board before offering the position.

So last week was very anxious for me. I had been planning to return to work in February, not September. Adam won't even be 5 months old. OMG childcare! It's a jungle out there to find any childcare. AY is a great school, with model students and a fun, talented, and supportive staff. I must need my head examined. No one leaves "the country club," as the Als call it. It's a half time position. There's no guarantee that I'll be able to go back full time at Jarvis when I want to. My retirement gets delayed.

But despite all that, I knew that this would be the right move. Jarvis is an exciting school. Half-time, 5 minutes on foot from our home works so much better for Adam and by extension our family. Dion's mom, aka Poh-poh, expressed some interest in doing some childcare (who knew!?). Dion could change the start and/or duration of his leave, which he had planned for maybe Jan/Feb/Mar. All of this shifted through my mind and by Thursday night, I was trying not to get my hopes up.

Friday, AY science staff had an end-of-year lunch out at Jane's farm North of Uxbridge. It was a gorgeous day and a beautiful setting. Jane's horses were really interested in Adam. I think it was the fragrance in the diapers. And the phone call came while I was there. Of course, I accepted. Sai got on the phone immediately with our principal to talk about what to do with my position at AY. Sai might have a coronary at the ripe old age of 28 (I think he's 28.) Glad it's them not me. Positions of responsibility - too much responsibility!

My new department head has already been in touch with me electronically. We'll be teaching the 9 Applied together. I love a department head who teaches Gr. 9 Applied.

8 comments:

Pamela said...

wow! congrats Karen! =) sounds really exciting...

Kern said...

Addressing what may (or may not) be the least significant change involved in this new position, how do you feel about going to math vs. Physics?

Karen Lew said...

Hey Kern,
I like doing both and want to have a mix over my career. I'll miss the easy variety of science - labs, videos.... I'm hoping that since it was originally posted with some Physics that it means the school has a tight Physics teacher supply and that I will get back into science. In the mean time, I will enjoy the Math. Because there are so few Physics teachers in general, it is tough to "get out" of Physics if one is qualified to do it.

I've often quoted my friend Ann, who said, "Math is the easiest subject to teach but the hardest subject to teach well." I believe that.

Kevin said...

It's okay that you stole my title, because I actually stole it from David Bowie (and I even forgot one "ch"

Trout said...

Congratulations Karen!!

OAN: Melanie and I can't wait to meet Adam.

Anonymous said...

That was an exciting post. And it seems like a dream setup for balancing work and kids. I'm really looking forward to hearing more about life as a working mom!

Anonymous said...

Speaking of physics, I googled my high school physics teacher and found this article: http://link.aip.org/getabs/servlet/GetabsServlet?prog=normal&id=PHTEAH000038000003000132000003&idtype=cvips&gifs=yes

Karen, do you have access to this article?

PapaMino said...

Hey Karen,

Glad to hear the good news about your new half-time position. Jarvis is a nice school. Long ago I used to lifeguard there quite a bit for a Special Olympic swim team. I also believe that Ron Whiteside started his teaching career as Jarvis. Any updates on what daycare plans you have decided for Adam?